search Domestic Dharma

Monday, January 3, 2011

getting to know our dehydrator

So way back around thanksgiving when we opened our dehydrator these were a couple of the first treats that we made. 
We both love sweet potato chips ( I actually fell in love with sweet pot fries working at a local bar and grill so the evolution began...fries at work...baked sweet wedges at home...now raw sweet potato chips in the dehydrator =)  We used Bitt's recipe for Curry Sweet Potato ChipsThey turned out delicious!  We have decided we will practice patience and let them dehydrate longer next time, ours were still a tiny bit chewy ;)  I think I'm figuring out that it would be really hard to over-dehydrate something. 

Here they are going in.  DDH (my hubby) sliced these nice and thin on our mandoline.  Our mandoline is one of his favorite kitchen tools.  He added exactly 3 items to our wedding registry:  1) a crock pot  2)  this mandoline  3)  a deep fryer, oh brother (don't tell him we could probably make sweet potato fries at home)  Item #3 I tried selling at our garage sale (we've used it one time).  DDH : "  you can sell it if you get $75 for it"  I tried...only had one interested lady and she said " he can keep it"  $75 was too much for her to spend on heart disease, good call lady. 

Photobucket

and magically chips are created!

Photobucket

They were yummy and sweet with curry!  Thanks Bitt for sharing your recipe. 

Next up were the Pure 2 Raw Twins Holiday MacaroonsHow ingenious to use gojis as the peppermint candy red, love it!

adding the 'candy'

Photobucket

It looks like it, but it's not black pepper ;)  I used raw wild-crafted vanilla which is a ground powder for the vanilla flavor.  I also used less agave, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 cup, I guess that would be about a 1/3 cup ;0  haha.

Photobucket

We did dehydrate them for about four hours, I love macaroons and part of that is the little bit crunchy outer shell which dehydrating created on these raw vegan ones =D  Yummy!  We took these to share to one of our Thanksgiving gatherings. 

Photobucket

So remember when I was loving how pretty the neti pots at the co-op were?  Well, not too long after that I dropped a Kanteen out of the cupboard and it landed on my neti pot and broke it...my mind went right to Aunt Jett or Aunt Frances in Practical Magic saying 'be careful what you wish for'.  I didn't really want to buy a new one, but I guess that's what I get.  Anyway, I picked out this pretty one. 

Photobucket

These from Baraka are handcrafted in the US and are lead free and dishwasher safe.  I really love it for how cute it is, but I also like that it has a larger capacity and the neck is easier to hold on to during use while pouring. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a once a day habit I'm glad that I have ;) 

While all our ourside snow here is gone from our rain storms and 50 degree temps last week (what?) there is still a glass snowman on our kitchen sill.  Isn't he groovy?  He's one of my favorite holiday decorations. 

Photobucket

Hope the sun is shining where you are too. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment