search Domestic Dharma

Sunday, January 9, 2011

cookies and Angelica Cornbread

While searching for gluten free bread recipes recently I somehow found my way to this youtube video.  I started watching her make her favorite bread from The Angelica Home Kitchen , a cookbook that I have!



On our next trip to the co-op we picked up some organic MI grown and milled cornmeal and I got started.  There are just a few ingredients to this recipe, it's super simple to make.  Cooked brown rice is an ingredient, so you will need to save time for that. 

Here's the blurb on angelica cornbread in the book:

'This is another of Angelica's signature dishes.  One of the restaurant's great traditions, it's been on the menu since Day One.  Despite the name, it is not what most people expect when they order bread.  It's a lumpy, moist, chewy, fiber-filled whole-grain loaf that featured cornmeal, brown rice, and rolled oats.  If you want energy to burn, have it for breakfast.  We get letters from all over the world asking for the recipe.  Some people consider it more of a curiousity than anything else.  We strongly suggest you try it yourself and find out where you stand.'  ~The Angelica Home Kitchen

I wanted to find out where we stand...

ingredients

Photobucket

mixing

Photobucket

prepping bread pan

Photobucket

a very full loaf pan with a little overspill on the way in the oven ;)

Photobucket

baked

Photobucket

I would suggest waiting for it to cool for a while before getting cutting and removing pieces.

Photobucket

the first slice came out like this

Photobucket

tastes the same though ;)  Once it had cooled I cut the remaining loaf and they came out perfectly.  Where I stand on this bread is that it's kind of peculiar and yummy.  To me it's like a cross of rice pudding, french toast, and a corn casserole.  I really enjoyed it again today with a leftover piece out of the fridge cold today after work, it's dense and will fill you up on these cold winter days. The only changes I made was using olive oil instead of corn and long grain rice instead of short.

Here's The Angelica Home Kitchen

Photobucket

Photobucket

Over holiday break I was digging around for a new cookie recipe to make which I had the ingredients for and found the almond anise cookies from Angelica as well.  Oh my were these cookies good, we came to the conclusion that they taste a lot like biscotti.  I also got to use our new cooling rack.

Photobucket

Now on to a raw cookie that is stashed in our freezer, these rock of course as I knew they would from Ani Phyo.  They're the Trail Mix Cookies from Ani's Raw Food Desserts.  You know I had to go ahead and gojis!  My supply is dwindling, I think a run to Zerbo's will be warranted here soon, as I'm running out of other raw supplies.  They are pretty much like a trail mix larabar that I keep in the freezer ;)  So good and cheaper (and less package waste) to make myself.  I can also make them organic which Larabars unfortunately are not.

Photobucket

lots of goodness in these.

Photobucket

they also travel well for a power packed snack on the go

Photobucket

Speaking of power filled things, I needed a power nap last week and look who was curled up next to me, the Macaroni =)  I took a couple of cute pics before I nodded off...

Photobucket

haha big yawn, she was tired too

Photobucket

a calico kitty paw, love.

Photobucket

Have you all seen this video?  It is especially sweet. 



They were also on NPR's All Songs Considered today.
A commenter on NPR left a link to this article. What an inspiring story, it will make you smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment