search Domestic Dharma

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

the journey within

Our Walk For Farm Animals was a couple of weekends ago now, Ann Arbor was the first city so you may still check out walks in your area.  I did a bad job of taking any photos, but had a nice time and a lovely walk with new friends.  Our lovely leader is heading to Farm Sanctuary this weekend with our money raised.  A sincere thank you to my sponsors on behalf of the animals.  We're planning to make next year the biggest and best yet from Ann Arbor!  Michigan is the state to have been holding the walks the longest!  Don't quote me, but I believe this next year will be celebrating 25 years of walking.  Anyway just a couple of quick photos:

It was a beautiful day

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the same note, our library ordered this book that I had suggested.  Did you know you can suggest material for your library?  I have not gotten into it yet since my school reading has come first lately.  There really are so many books....

Photobucket

On the menu today we have his and hers salads.  We've been loving massaged kale around here!  I made these with julienned FM kale massaged with flax oil, ume plum vinegar, and celtic sea salt.  Added FM purple onion, our green beans, and raw pumpkin seeds.

Photobucket

His with raisins

Photobucket

Hers with our toms and avocado

Photobucket

It's a great time at the FM now with winter squash and apples ripe!  We've been buying lots of onion, garlic, squash, greens, and apples. 

This last week in apples were Red Delicious.  I stopped by my favorite antiques apple growers to see what treats they had.  Red Delicious was one of them.  I politely said I don't really enjoy RD which she replied oh I enjoy them even less!  (we're both talking the supermarket ones with the crazy thick skin and big crowns)  I'm not sure what the modern day RD were bred for, in my humble opinion it isn't for the taste.  She had brought a few apples for sampling that birds had already sampled themselves ;)  I tasted an uneaten side and it was not at all like the RD in the store, very good actually!  They came home with me and here's what they look like, not much resemblence to their modern day relatives. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's such an amazing thing to purchase your food hours after it's been harvested.

 I picked up raw granola that I've been wanting to for a while this week too at the FM.  You can read about the Detroit Zen Center, students and monks at the center run Living Zen Organics with some fabulous foods and a cafe in Hamtramck.  This granola is delish, I really enjoy the cashews in it, and their kale salad is so so good! 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A poetry snack for the day =)

'Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart.  Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language.  Do not now look for the answers.  They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them.  It is a question of experiencing everything.  At present you need to live the question.  Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day.'  ~Rainer Maria Rilke

'The only journey is the one within.'  ~Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments:

Post a Comment