search Domestic Dharma

Friday, September 10, 2010

antique apples

I'm having this wonderful infatuation with antique apples.  How can you not, look at this lovely!

Photobucket

This is a pippen grown non-cert organically in our county.  If you shop the A2 FM look for Salem Orchard and Vineyard.  They also have delicious concord grapes, yes they have seeds ;) 

Photobucket

I've been working on this visualization of our apple orchard =)  We will have baked, gluten free donuts and also raw dehydrated ones and pumpkins and squash and greens and goats (for living) oh my!

I really think apples are so amazing.  Did you know that if you plant the seeds that are inside one apple you will get all different trees from the parent apple?  A really interesting documentary by Michael Pollan based on his book The Botany of Desire is so thought provoking, and a great lesson on apple history too.  It plays on PBS so you can check their schedule.  I fell asleep for the marijuana part, go figure ;)  so I'm wanting to watch again too.



back to more apple lovin pictures!  On the left are snow apples and the right are the pippens.  I love the pippens, the snow apples are delicious too, a little more tart.  Both types are firm and juicy.  Is it not so cool that these apples are from trees that were planted in the 1930s?  My gratitude to that Johnny Appleseed.

Photobucket

my loot

Photobucket

getting organized for storing

Photobucket

We're ordering two antique trees for the spring (now's the time to order them, I was too late last year)  for our yard.  I've gotten one tree decided on and still working on the other variety.  It will be a few years before they bear fruit, it will be so worth waiting for!  They'll be coming from Trees of Antiquity.  Can you tell I'm excited!?! =)

Something that has been bearing fruit in the garden is our heirloom tomato plants.  I haven't decided if these are Black Krim or Cherokee Purples.  I had planted both seeds and then moved the seedlings around.  Anyone able to tell for me?  I'm leaning toward Black Krim, they are SO delicious and beautiful. 

Photobucket

here's his bottom

Photobucket

we've also been eating our garden carrots =)  Plants are just so amazing, it's really so fun to plant teeny tiny seeds and then see how they grow into amazing greens, veggies, and fruits. 

Photobucket

Last night I stayed up and finished watching Crazy Sexy Cancer (sorry if anyone is waiting for it, it's going back to the library today!) 

This link is for the trailor on her you tube channel, I couldn't seem to embed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umnbB9QKr2Y

Kris Carr is just amazing, that's not even the word for her, she's more than that, she's the rockstar healing junkie!  I was lucky to meet her and hear her talk last month.  She's a radiant, smart, kind, and loving wellness warrior.  She signed my Grandma's  crazy sexy cancer tips book and we took a photo with her which ended up being a goof and was a video, ha.  It's on my Mom's camera, I'll see if I can get it to work anyway ;)  If you get a chance to see her, do it.  You can also check out her sweet holistic social network  Crazy Sexy Life

Photobucket

If you watch Kris' latest vlog about decluttering this is on the same note.  We've painted the walls, doors, trim, taken out carpet, layed a cork floor, hung repurposed curtains, installed a ceiling fan in our cute little office.  It looks beautiful and is a nice calm room, but then came time to decide what to bring back in...here's the decluttering issue...all that's made it so far is our desk with laptop, small wicker drawer unit and my salt candle.  I've tucked our scanner and printer on a rolling end table in the closet and out of sight, but that's where I've stopped and been stuck.  I don't want much in the room, but I want it to be functional with just what we need.  We don't have much 'clutter' at all, but figuring our what to do with our CD collection, etc. is what's hanging me up.  In the meantime I'm enjoying the space in the glow of my salt lamp. 

Photobucket

"Those who cherish a beautiful vision, a lofty ideal in their hearts, will one day realize it. "

   ~ James Allen

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I love Kris!! :) And I can't wait to go apple picking..bring on Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tyrah! Been reading your blog for awhile now & I love it. I also love love love Kris Carr-- such an inspiration, right?!

    ReplyDelete