search Domestic Dharma

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

soup is good food!

as winter goes on here we've been enjoying some hearty soups in our house.  As you all know it's a economical dinner and great way to use up veggies on hand, both a plus to me.

tonight we had a Garden Vegetable Soup which happens to be a Weight Watchers recipe that I got from my Mom's friend.  It is super easy and tasty.  We ate it over brown rice and with some wheat free bread.  The green cabbage got swapped for purple because we still had some left from this week, which accounts for the strange color.

Photobucket

I have been really enjoying this bread.  It's wheat and yeast free and has super taste, very much sourdough in my opinion.

Photobucket

You can find it in the freezer section.  I don't eat much bread so it lasts a long while in the fridge.

Photobucket

super thin slices make for some tricky sandwiches ;)

Photobucket

another soup here lately was my favorite miso, Mighty Miso from Get It Ripe.  Here it is on the stove, WF was out of shiitakes so we subbed creminis and left out the tofu. 

Photobucket

after dinner tonight we had big cups of warm chai tea lattes.  The tea was a tulsi red chai masala, warming and spicy.  You can read about the benefits of tulsi and rooibos here

Photobucket

Photobucket

another recent soup was the Tempeh Stew over brown rice from The Yoga Cookbook.  It was full of yummy vegetables like rutabaga and turnip and super nutritious kombu from the sea. 

Photobucket

Inspired by a post from Choosing Raw this weekend I made coleslaw.  I would have loved to add fennel like Gena did, but there was none in my fridge.  Fennel Cabbage and Carrot slaw with Poppyseed dressingThis is a great recipe, we both loved it.

I did add cauliflower, pumpkin seeds, raisins, dried dill, ground fennel seed, and cilantro.

Photobucket

We were a little shy on poppyseeds, they were in our pancakes this weekend.  A creamy sweet and sour taste, mmmm.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I forgot about another face wash that I use in the previous 'bathroom post'.  I don't use moisture before bed, it's part of the thinking behind evan healy's the skin breathes, this makes a nice wash without drying at all.  I found Alaffia when we lived in Nevada.  The air is so incredibly dry and thats where shea butter comes in to help.  I feel good about supporting this company because they use fair trade shea butter and empower the people and communities in Africa where the butter comes from, the products are then handmade in WA. 

Photobucket

good Tuesday night, I may have been making treats while I writing this post and now there's an almond butter cup calling my name =)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tyrah! Thanks for dropping a some comments in for the contest! Sorry it's been a few days since ive popped over here...my googlereader got ALL messed up and Ive been rebuilding it..so thanks for being back in my life now :) Love no poo'ing update, the chia pudding, the tea..it's all awesome looking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tyrah! I haven't been making smoothies lately cause it's been cold too but have one bunch of collards left that I don't know what to do until now :) I just started eating chia seeds and love them! The one I have has buckwheat and hemp seeds in them too. Yummy with strawberries.

    ReplyDelete