search Domestic Dharma

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

homemade vegan parmesan sprinkle.

One of the things that I missed when I first stopped comsuming dairy was being able to sprinkle some cheese on top of salads, pasta, etc.  I don't miss that now, but I am still in love with this product, Parma! I used to mail order it in LasVegas and stock up at health food stores when travelling out of town, but it is now on the shelves in Whole Foods here in MI.  There isn't anything that I don't like about it, but I have a perfectly good food processor, so I wanted to see about making our own and it is yummy!  This also makes a good little gift to make and give to others.

I like to use about equal parts raw organic walnuts

Photobucket

(process the nuts until they look about like this)

Photobucket

and nutritional yeast (while taking this photo my camera fell right in the yeast ;)  My lil point and shoot camera is so tough, if anyone's looking for a recommendation on a wide angle PNS, I love our Canon.

Photobucket

add as much sea salt as you prefer to taste and for the last couple of batches I've added this Italian seasoning that I found at Costco, I think I added a Tablespoon ( to 1 cup walnuts & scant 1 cup nooch/nutritional yeast)

Photobucket

give it a whirl to combine

Photobucket

we rinse out our last Parma! shaker and refill it to keep in the fridge for liberal shaking when needed :)

Photobucket

on pasta

Photobucket

on salad

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. hi DD ~
    i love my gift of Parma!! it's a favorite of mine b/c it provides me optimal uses sprinkling on a variety of dishes and enjoying guilt free:):) lv, sioux

    ReplyDelete