search Domestic Dharma

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Red Pepper Deli

so about those cookies....
I have been in the mood lately for cookies and looking through our cookbooks I found this gem of a recipe in The Everyday Vegan for 'Bill-Friendly' Cookies.  Dreena created this recipe for a friend who avoids sugars in his diet.  They are sweetened with orange juice and raisins and are totally unique and yummy. 

The Everyday Vegan

Photobucket

'Bill-Friendly' cookies

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love this recipe, so easy and clean.  I subbed walnuts for pecans as I don't think I've ever bought pecans...thinking I should try them!  You won't believe this , but up until about 5 years ago I did not eat nuts, I was that picky little kid who didn't eat the bread because there were walnuts in it ;)  I'm making up for it now with my love for them for sure. 

Last week after work we went out for a fabulous dinner at Red Pepper Deli, a sort of local (30 minutes away) raw organic restaurant.  I had actually bought a Groupon, like I could pass that up, hee hee.  I love to go there, Groupon or not! 

Photobucket

His and Hers raw organic dinner...mmm nourishing!

Photobucket

Dave ordered the raw pad Thai (we both loved this, it is phenomenal) 
It is zucchini pasta, mushrooms, red pepper, bean sprouts, snow peas in a slightly spicy almond butter sauce.  I am pretty certain that being in public was the only thing holding Dave back from licking the plate clean, this happens at home (sorry honey;)  !

Photobucket

I had the Balsamic Mushroom Pasta which was delish as well.  The marinated mushrooms were the most flavorful part, I would've eaten a whole plate of them!  Love the fresh shoots on top too.
cashew ricotta, zucchini pasta, tomato, spinach topped with balsamic mushrooms

Photobucket

The deli is fresh and colorful ( oh how I wished we lived a tad closer...see the Help Wanted sign??)

Photobucket

and smells like freshly juiced wheatgrass, yummola  (organic Ann Arbor grown wheatgrass!)

Photobucket

You know I couldn't pass up raw dessert.  We I decided on the coconut oreo pie, it was perfect.

Photobucket

check out the fun floor too (and my Earth Mary Janes ;))

Photobucket

When we left there were flurries coming down, but we were happy and nourished with dessert in hand.  Raw food makes you feel so good.

Photobucket

pie enjoyed later at home with strawberries

Photobucket

so about my love for nuts here's an ode to almond butter photo

Photobucket

oh how I love thee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment