search Domestic Dharma

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

local tofu

So every so often I get a craving for tofu, like an actual craving.  I stopped into WF to pick up a carton, but they were all out of their brand in firm...I picked up this one from Rosewood.  Reading the package I see that it's handmade here in Ann Arbor, geez this is what I should be buying all the time.  Not just because it's local, but turns out the texture and flavor (yes I enjoy the flavor of poached tofu) are amazing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

When I get this craving I will most always make an easy stir-fry of sorts.  I don't really know how to stir-fry, but this is what I do. 

cook quinoa in low sodium veggie stock while you're preparing the veggies and tofu.

Photobucket

saute/sweat garlic until fragrant then add chopped/sliced veggies that you have to use.  Here I used red bell pepper and broccoli, let this cook for a minute or so.  If you have fresh ginger I like to grate that in as well, adding water if needed.  Stir in 1/2-1 tsp sea salt, pepper, and any dried herbs you want, be generous.  Here I used the giant bottle of organic Italian seasoning from Costco.  After a couple minutes stir in some crushed tomatoes (or tomato sauce or paste+water) and cubed tofu.  Place the lid on and let poach for a bit adding water if you need.  I usually will turn it down to low and get a few things done around the house, so about 15-25 minutes, then you can stir in some frozen peas, sliced zucchini, a generous squirt of yellow mustard, and some nutritional yeast, heat through.  Then plate over your qunioa and enjoy.  This is an easy and economical meal and one of those that helps you use up extra vegetables.  We like it anyway.

Photobucket

I have told you how we love Theo chocolate right?  The bars were on sale at WF so we thought it would be a good time to buy a case (12) and get the 10% too...behold our chocolate stash =D

Photobucket

Now the goal is to not eat them too quickly...we'll see how that goes or if we just eat more chocolate ;) !

recent school lunch pic:

organic carrots, red pepper, and broccoli with raw sunflower ranch dip.  (I've been making it without the garlic and onion lately and I don't miss them at all, I should note that I LOVE dill so I really jive with this dip)

Photobucket

there's also a couple of cookies in there that I will post about soon. 

recent furry ones pics:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Marley hopes you all get to soak in the sun's warmth too.

No comments:

Post a Comment