search Domestic Dharma

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The dressing I can't stop making!

That says it all, I haven't gotten tired of this dressing and it's a cinch to stir together.
Ingredients:

olive oil
coconut vinegar
raw tahini
brown mustard
dried ginger
sea salt and pepper


Photobucket

I don't measure, just add the amounts that you like to your bowl

Photobucket

and stir it together

Photobucket

and add your salad.


Photobucket

I was excited to put our nut milk bag to work making silky smooth almond milk! 

Photobucket

I used the instructions in Sweet Gratitude for making nut milks.  I first soaked our almonds for 24 hours, drained and rinsed them.  In the Vita-Mix I used 1 cup of the almonds and 3 cups of RO water and blended for about 2 minutes.  I then let the nuts and water steep for 20 minutes like they suggest in SG and gave it a quick spin again.   

The next part coming up is where I remembered not to cry over spilled milk...

I poured the milk into my jar lined with our nut milk bag,

Photobucket

Photobucket

and quickly realized it was going to be a little hard to squeeze the milk without making a mess...

Photobucket

I transferred to a bowl to finish

Photobucket

and made the most creamy almond milk, love.

Photobucket

Photobucket

labeled my jar with a sharpie, which I read at Kristen's Raw would wash right off, and she's right, works awesome. 

Photobucket

I can give up my invention now of plant based labels that degrade in the dishwasher ;) seriously, I was trying to figure a non messy, non wasteful, non toxic solution, because I'm a date labeler!

I dried the pulp in the dehydrator on 105 degrees, I don't remember how long( helpful right?), just kept checking it to see when it was dry. 

and of course while I was soaking almonds we had to do some for snacking too!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Once the pulp was dry I blended it in the Vita-Mix to break it down into nice flour, labeled ( I'm starting to think the title of this post should be I keep a sharpie in my kitchen ;) and packed in freezer to use later in cookies maybe.

Photobucket

Our almond milk was used in smoothies and a raw cheesecake which it made them both extra creamy and rich, yum!  During my next almond milk adventure I found a better procedure:  after blending I poured the milk into a glass water/juice carafe so I could then line the Vita-Mix with the bag and pour and strain back into there where there is plenty of room for squeezing.  If at first you don't succeed try try again =)

Recent snack lovin- homemade kombucha, chocolate, raisins, and the aforementioned almonds.

Photobucket

Recent packed lunch lovin-  romaine, red pepper, Bubbies, and dulse salad, avocado, mango + blueberries

Photobucket

I'll leave you today with the reminder in the front of Sweet Gratitude

Photobucket

You Are Loved

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment