search Domestic Dharma

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

VegFest

So VegFest totally rocked this year!  It did last year as well, it helped that I didn't get lost this time on the way so I was able to be there for the full event =)  I've read that it was the best turn out so far and I really believe it, it was bustling.  You get to draw for a door prize when you enter and this year I won something, yea!


Foods Alive flax crackers (which are AWESOME!!!) and some strawberry blue agave syrup from Wholesome Sweeteners
Photobucket

These crackers have me rethinking the decision to buy a dehydrator...

I was able to see Rory Freedman before her talk.  She was very sweet and kind and indulged me by signing my book and taking a photo with me =)  I of course thanked her for coming to Michigan to see us all.

Photobucket

I told you she was sweet ;)

Photobucket

One of the highlights for me was to see Andrea McNinch do her raw taco food demo and speak at the end of the day.  It's a goal of mine to attend her classes.  I didn't get to stick around to sample the tacos because I wanted to catch some of Rory's talk, but I'm sure they were rawkin'!

here's Andrea

Photobucket

and Rory.  Her talk was really great and cute and brought me to tears a couple of times.

Photobucket

She read a passage from Old MacDonald's Factory Farm by C. David Coates that she keeps up on her refrigerator.

-Isn’t man an amazing animal? He kills wildlife by the millions in order to protect his domestic animals and their feed. Then he kills domestic animals by the billions and eats them. This is turn kills man by the millions, because eating all those animals leads to degenerative- and fatal- health conditions like heart disease, kidney disease, and cancer. So then man tortures and kills millions more animals to look for cures for these diseases. Elsewhere, millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals. Meanwhile, some people are dying of sad laughter at the absurdity of man, who kills so easily and violently, and once a year sends out cards praying for “Peace on Earth.”

Raw Pasta Marinara food demo by Michael Dwyer.  This pasta was fab!  We eat zucchini pasta here, but I have yet to make raw marinara, I will be making this.  It was the recipe from Alissa Cohen's Living on Live Food

Photobucket

Photobucket

I made two purchases this year from Regeneration Raw.  Kelp noodles and Vivapura's Salad Sprinkles.  I'm excited to try the sundried olives in the salad sprinkles.  I also tasted the Spirulina crunchies, oh my gosh so good! 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

vegan Cashew cardamom cake by Inn Season Cafe

Photobucket

some other vegan treats from Mind Body Spirits and Schakolad

Photobucket

I also sampled the best kale quinoa salad from The Detroit Zen Center.  I was too late to get some kale to go when I left the festival, but after talking with one of the gentleman I'm looking forward to eat at their cafe.

here's some of the edible goodies that were in our gift bags, pretty geeked to try that kelp bar. 

Photobucket

on my way home from Ferndale I stopped into the airport to pick up my parents from their AZ trip.  It was my Dad's BD, we took them to Sidetrack for dinner and a catch up after they've been out of town.  Here's my beautiful parents.

Photobucket

and us =)  can you tell I was kinda ready for bed?

Photobucket

I have to sneak a green smoothie into this post so here's my bfast yesterday.  I still had some coconut milk left so to that I added frozen banana and strawberries (that I had let thaw a bit ), almond butter, almond milk, dates, and lots of spinach.  I don't know what is causing this desire for decadent smoothies, but it was soooooo good.  I wonder if it may be seeing the cast of Brothers & Sisters drink dates shakes on the show this week, could be.  Or that my Mom enjoyed one of my favorite shakes at one of my favorite places this week?, could be.  D'lish's blueberry vanilla date shake is to live for!  Does anyone watch B&S?, it's a guilty pleasure of mine, I totally love it  =)

Photobucket

Here's the link to VegMichigan if you're curious about the group or becoming a member.
I didn't hear John Salley's talk this year, but did get to see him afterwards.  He looks wonderful and I love that he continues to come back to MI as well.  It was also really fun and inspiring to see young kiddos rockin their homemade veg tshirts.

2 comments:

  1. That passage is golden.
    Thank you for this blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun time! I didn't get to vegfest here in seattle but yours looks a lot better. there was nothing raw at ours. lucky you, meeting rory freeman!

    i want a sip of that smoothie.

    ReplyDelete