search Domestic Dharma

Friday, April 2, 2010

sauerkraut starts with the full moon

so the full moon came, everybody see it?  The moon is one of my most favorite things.  Tuesday morning I got busy cleaning jars and cutting cabbage. 

Photobucket

The Pure2Raw twins have a great post here about making sauerkraut with two videos, I love how-to videos, thanks girls!  I went with these instructions for our first kraut adventure.  The one head of cabbage filled the quart jar about half way.  I used 1 T of salt. 

Photobucket

My massaged cabbage ended up with more liquid than I expected, I'm hoping this is alright.  I used a small Mason to hold down the cabbage like they showed and just layed one of the plastic lids on top and covered with a clean towel.  So....in a little while we'll get to see if it worked.  When I look in on it I do see some bubbles starting to rise up which is a sign of fermentation starting, yay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

another lovely fermented product, this trilogy flavor is awesome, I can't really get enough ginger, love it!

Photobucket

How funny is this little girlie?  She hangs out upside down waiting to attack the next leg that walks by ;)

Photobucket

We had red lentil curry that night for dinner.  The recipe was printed in Tasteforlife June 08 and is from the book Complete Curry Cookbook by Byron Ayanoglu and Jennifer MacKenzie.  It's easy, fast, and very affordable to make, it's a staple here, I go heavy on the cilantro, yum!

Photobucket

A good way to make use of leftovers and get your greens in is to roll them in collards.  Wouldn't you know a Bubbie's pickle made it's way in too ;)  Dave and I are both officially crazy for these pickles.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yesterday the food processor got a workout and helped me make a fresh batch of organic raw tahini and almond butter. 

Photobucket

Spring is in the air here, the birds are singing and the sun is warm!  Enjoy your day!

'If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.' ~HH the Dalai Lama

3 comments:

  1. I just bought Bubbies raw sauerkraut along with more pickles!! I think I need an intervention! HA HA! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy krauting! sauerkraut is so easy and delicious.

    i love fermented bubbies and GTs. mmm.

    cute cat pic. i love calicos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use all that extra juice for salad dressing or take it as a shot. Just found another local raw kraut vendor at farmer's market and they added smoked jalepenos in them... soooooo good on some flax chips!

    ReplyDelete