search Domestic Dharma

Thursday, April 22, 2010

HAPPY HAPPY EARTH DAY everyday!

HAPPY EARTH DAY!  I like to start Earth Day with plant power in the form of a green smoothie.  Here's mine this morning, another decadent one:  banana, thawed frozen strawberries, almond milk, PB, and spinach.  No dates, I forgot them and while it was a little less sweet still totally delicious.

Photobucket

I finally remembered to take a photo of our cute little composter during daylight.  My trips out there seem to always be in the dark.  Our tumbler is still breaking down our food scraps and yard waste while we're adding to this one we're figuring that we'll need another so that while one is being actively added to the other can be completing into compost for our yard and garden.  That was one long run on sentence!  So we've been composting for about 6 months now and it has DRAMATICALLY decreased our trash.  Most of our garbage was made up of food scraps.  We (2 people 2 cat) household end up producing garbage to put out on trash day about every 2-3 weeks on a normal basis now with the composter (it will basically be a kitchen trash bag, 1-2 small bathroom bags, and a lovely bag of kitty waste).  So I guess what I'm saying is that if your municipality does composting, take part, or if you're thinking of composting, I say do it.  You will lighten your load on this planet a bit more. 

Photobucket

We recycle everything that we're aware we can and that also helps with less trash.  Most of it we can do curbside and some requires an occasional drop off, but I am happy to do it.  We use this pail to collect our recycling in the dining room before it gets taken to the garage.  I used to just pile it on the counter and take it down each morning, but it wasn't so pretty, so we like this solution.  This pail was a gift, but I believe it came from Homer Depot or Lowes. 

Photobucket

a couple of random compost photos, you'll see broccoli stems in there.  I have since learned to shred and eat them. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

our compost bowl pretty much consists of tea bags, coffee filters and grounds, vegetable ends, fruit peels and pits. 

We bought a slide out for our cabinet that holds a trash and a paper recycling bin in the kitchen.  Isn't it cute?  I love it. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

I thought it would be an appropriate day to talk about recycling, but now on to some food.  Dinner last night was the raw zucchini pasta marinara that was demonstrated at Vegfest from Living on Live Food.  I love, love, love this!

zucchini pasta

Photobucket

the marinara ingredients pre processing.  It was great to have fresh tomatoes too, that is something that I don't like to purchase through the winter months here, these tasted amazing.

Photobucket

delicious raw marinara

Photobucket

dinner with parma! and a few (non raw) olives.  We don't usually eat all raw for dinner so I was feeling pretty good about this meal, and making raw food is a good energy conserver being that dinner was made powered only by me and the spin in the food processor.

Photobucket

I picked up some celtic sea salt yesterday to use in our marinara, nutritious and delicious.

Photobucket

a treat from Vegfest that was pretty tasty.  It reminds me a lot of Bora Bora bars that we used to eat devour.  When we lived in Nevada our Costco would have big boxes of Bora Bora bars that we loved.

Photobucket

I'm pretty excited about this recent co-op buy.  15 pounds of organic chia seed!  You get a great price if you buy in bulk and chias are good for doing just that because of their high antioxidants giving them a long shelf life.  ( I am queen of the run on sentences today) Once I rearrange the freezer I'm going to get these guys bottled up and stored away, oh how I love chia!

Photobucket

Earth day tip:  turn the water off in the shower when you shave.
I love all the attention that environmentalism gets today, but please make an affirmation that each day is really Earth Day, do your part, and love your momma, all of them =)

"The most fundamental message is for people to remember that the environment is not just something that they visit on weekends or during their summer vacation – that the environment is all around us, that it is in us and we are in it, and that it profoundly influences our health," Dr. Phillip Landrigan

Anyone store their salts in a salt box, any suggestions???

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha. That's the biggest bag of chia I've ever seen. You hit the jackpot!

    Happy Earth day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love more and more, with every post♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg 15 lbs of chia??!!! I would have those for 2 decades! I use them, but not at a very fast rate! wow girl!

    love the spiralized food! yum! and parma. have never tried it but created a recipe based on the ingredients in parma...not sure how close it is, since ive never had parma!

    re coconut oil and storing it. do you ever open a large jar of coconut oil and feel like it smells funky but then a day or so later, open it again, and it smells fine? those jars last a long time and i am careful about cross contaminating the oil, but ya know...i dont want to be breeding germs! thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm inspired to get a bigger compost going.

    ReplyDelete