search Domestic Dharma

Monday, November 22, 2010

remember your roots, enjoy the view!

oh boy, this is exciting!  Check out what was delivered this weekend...

Photobucket

We have a dehydrator that found a home with us =D  Thank you Mom and Dad!  What actually happened is my very kind and generous Momma picked out some cute clothes for me to use for school and work when I finish.  She had been shopping at Anthropologie, you all know it's not cheap....anyway I was thinking of how the cost of the clothes could buy a dehydrator.  I don't like to look a gift horse in the mouth, but trying to be frugal in tough times I politely asked if I could maybe return them and get a dehydrator instead ( I may have promised the likes of macaroons from the dehydrator;)?  She said of course just wanted me to get something that I wanted, so we took a drive up to town about an hour from us to do the returns, (I did keep a cute tank).  While in town we noticed an athletic clothing store with yoga inspired clothes, Lucy.  I found these sweet skirted pants inside which I will use for work, and they're organic too.  We had a really great day together that ended with dinner at Cacao Tree Cafe and dessert in the truck at home!  I have a post coming up from our eats at CTC. 

Doesn't she fit well here in the kitchen?

Photobucket

love this too

Photobucket

I had measured this spot a while ago when I started dreaming of getting a dehydrator and figured out that it would fit really nice.

Photobucket

So then it was on to deciding what I wanted to make first!  Ever since I had watched this episode of the Renegade Health Show I've had the BBQ chips in my mind...that's what I chose.  Follow the link for the demonstration video and Abeba's recipe.  Abeba Wright is the self described Krazy Kracker lady , she has a few ebooks on the site with her chip and cracker recipes, I kinda want to make them all!

So first we needed some beautiful organic flax seeds

Photobucket

soaked overnight

Photobucket

and our vita-mix to blend up all the ingredients

Photobucket

this was my batter before adding the flax

Photobucket

and after

Photobucket

I hope I got the right consistency...they're drying away in the Excalibur as I type this (and they smell pretty good!) 

Photobucket

We will find out...tomorrow ;) 

When it gets chilly out I find myself really wanting to work on my crochet projects.  It works out well since we have dear friends that will be welcoming a new babe in a couple of months that I'm making a blanket for.  Baby blankets are really my favorite things to work up.  I gathered supplies and am about half way through.  As you can see Maggie is always my sidekick when I crochet!  Can you spy a kitty belly and little foot??

Photobucket

I've used this yarn for a few kid's projects before and really like it, it's Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton

This has been a warm drink of choice lately, steeping these two teas together, yum.  I fell in love with peppermint tea while healing from IBS, I find it really soothing. 

Photobucket

We've also been enjoying lots of brothy veggie soups too this fall.  This one was garlic, onion, celery, mushroom, sweet potato, low sodium veg stock, herbs, Celtic sea salt, and zucchini. 

Photobucket

This is how I will often finish my soups.  I use the juice of a lemon and South River Miso.  WHen I take the soup off the heat, I'll add the juice of the lemon (strained) and pull out a bit of stock to mix the miso in with (I let it cool a bit so I don't damage the living miso) stir it well until the miso dissolves, and return it to the pot. 

Photobucket

I love the flavor they make!

I have some muscles to learn for a quiz tomorrow =D  I colored this weekend ;)  In and out of the lines.

Photobucket

I want to leave you with a nice writing for the day from Ilan Shamir.

Advice from a Tree

By Ilan Shamir



Dear Friend,



Stand Tall and Proud

Sink your roots deeply into the Earth

Reflect the light of a greater source

Think long term

Go out on a limb

Remember your place among all living beings

Embrace with joy the changing seasons

For each yields its own abundance

The Energy and Birth of Spring

The Growth and Contentment of Summer

The Wisdom to let go of leaves in the Fall

The Rest and Quiet Renewal of Winter



Feel the wind and the sun

And delight in their presence

Look up at the moon that shines down upon you

And the mystery of the stars at night.

Seek nourishment from the good things in life

Simple pleasures

Earth, fresh air, light



Be content with your natural beauty

Drink plenty of water

Let your limbs sway and dance in the breezes

Be flexible

Remember your roots


Enjoy the view!


I found this at the store in Muir Woods when we visited there a few years ago.  I love it so much, it hangs on our fridge. 

Photobucket