search Domestic Dharma

Saturday, November 6, 2010

nature's candy, trick or treat

Frist of all today, let me give a shout out to the humble medjool date and raw walnut.  These two joined forces and let me sail right through Halloween without even being tempted by any candy.  trick or treat nature's candy!  If you have a large frest date, pull it in half and take the pit out. I like to fit 2-3 walnut halves inside.  There you go!

Photobucket

I still have Get Naked Fast from the library and have tried a couple other recipes.  One is the zucchini hummus and it was really delicious.  I haven't really made a raw hummus that I've liked too well before, I ate the whole batch so I think it's safe to say that I liked it;)  It was fresh and lemony and went really well with raw broccoli. 

Photobucket

Our basil plants are doing great transferred in the house from the garden still so I was able to make the pesto recipe as well. Fresh basil in the fall without spending $15 on organic basil = awesome.

Photobucket

we had leftover cooked brown rice pasta to use one night this week so I tossed together some lightly steamed broccoli, chopped tomatoes, daiya mozzarella style, and stirred some miso in with the pesto. 

Photobucket

and stirred that all together and devoured enjoyed thoroughly!

Photobucket

Something we've been eating a whole lot of since squash has hit the FM is the Creamy Kabocha Soup from the Kind Diet.  It's unbelieveably simple and genius, there is really no need to add anything to the flavor of the kabocha. 

diced squash and water

Photobucket

squashed (haha!) up into a soup

Photobucket

so satisfying.  This squash has such a unique savory with a little sweet flavor and the texture rocks.  I love it so much that we have 5 of them sitting on the bar now and I'll probably continue to buy them each week this month! ;) 

Photobucket

Speaking of fall, some nights what I want is a big warm bowl of oats (recipe also from the Kind Diet), my hubby, and a blanket cuddled up on the couch =)  So here we are. 

Photobucket

I've admitted that I think this is a bad habit we have of eating while watching tv.  Since then I've been thinking about that and have come to the decision that it's probably healthier to just own it, afterall it's what we choose to do.  It's actually a nice time when Dave gets to unwind from his work day, we can chat about how our days were, and maybe most importantly compete with eachother watching Jeopardy.  Hopefully someday we'll enjoy dinner around the table with our family, but now we enjoy this as well. 

I didn't want to miss an opportunity to get our greens in though so we had these beautiful green smoothies before our oats. 

Photobucket

Maggie was caught one day living it up on the table, what a rule breaker!, on fresh laundry no less ;)

Photobucket

and Marley was caught just looking cute.  Oh man I love this face!

Photobucket

haha, and caught mid-yawn.  ROAR.

Photobucket

Marley says don't forget to set your clocks back if you're in an area that does, he loves to get an extra hour of sleep.