search Domestic Dharma

Monday, November 8, 2010

massage the kale

Kale salads are a staple in our diet around here, I know I show photos of them a lot, so I thought it'd be fun to show you how I make them.  I don't know how others make them, but this is just what I do.  You can also just eat a kale salad unmassaged, they were actually my favorite meal at Go Raw Cafe in Vegas. 

I start with washed and destemmed curly kale that I julienne.  In the bowl I take very clean hands and massage it kind of like it were bread dough, grab and squeeze, etc.  It's a nice little hand workout!  The kale will begin to breakdown some and start to look and smell like it has been cooked a bit.  You'll also notice the volume seems to decrease a bit, so fill your bowl up before you begin.

julienned kale on left and massaged kale on right

Photobucket

I then like to add lemon juice, oil, and sea salt.  I'll give it another quick massage to distribute the dressing.

Photobucket

additions for these salads were:  raw pumpkin seeds, red pepper, red onion, toms, green beans, peas, and a strangely shaped cucumber ;) 

Photobucket

and raw olives!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and the finished bowls, his and hers massaged salads

Photobucket

I realized I hadn't blogged about my last apple purchase.  Our antique apple growers are done at the market now, so our stash will be it until next year.  Here they are from L to R:  winesap, red delicious, grime's golden, and a solo jonathon she gave me to try.

Photobucket

I think this Jonathon is still in the drawer...

Photobucket

and the winesaps are definitely yummy

Photobucket

but the Grime's Golden are unreal.  They are unlike any apple I've had.  They're a little sweet, but have their own flavor, juicy with a great texture.  If you were to judge them by touch you'd think they were mealy inside, they're not at all.  The growers (Salem Orchard and Vineyard) said GG is the predecessor to the modern golden delicious and that when they have them at the market they sell out first thing in the morning.  I'm so happy that we love them since it's one of the trees that we ordered for the start of our 'orchard', taste untasted ;)  I just had a feeling about it. 

Photobucket

So this should be my last ode to antique apples post for the year =)