search Domestic Dharma

Friday, October 8, 2010

Groovy Spirulina Smoothie

The smoothie I've been groovin on lately has involved this lovely green powder. 

Photobucket

Spirulina!  Spirulina is a wonderful plant food, it's a single celled blue-green algae that grows in fresh water.  This algae has been eaten by ancient humans and is full of chlorophyll, a complete protein, and a source of GLA, an essential fatty acid, among many other health nurishing properties.  You can read more about it here.  I find the end very interesting how it is considered one of the first plants (a nuclear plant) and did not develop the fiberous cell walls commonly found in the plant kingdom. 

other ingredients:

Photobucket

Groovy Spirulina Smoothie

10 oz filtered water (we use a Kinetico RO system)
handful or two of greens (we been using Russian kale, green curly kale, or spinach)
fresh banana (if I have one, otherwise go without, still tastes groovy ;)
small palmful of goji berries
2 T hempseeds
1 T essential EFA oil (it's flax and borage)
2 handfuls of frozen blueberries
1 t spirulina
cinnamon

In the above photo I've blended the water and the greens already, add everything else and blend until smooth.  It's so delicious!

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one went with me on my errand day in my little cooler bag along with an antique apple.  I stopped into REI to look around at their sale...which doesn't start until Friday...so I bought Carrot Cake and Cashew Cookie Larabars.  Each month REI has different bar flavors on sale, they are the two flavors for Oct. so they're 99 cents.  I also picked up Yoga Journal which was $1 off, such a bargain shopper, haha!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then it was next door to pick up items at Whole Foods that I can't get from the FM.  I saw this recipe in the store for overnight oats!  I know many of us bloggers love our overnight oats and have many of our own recipes, and thought this was way cool to see in the store!

Photobucket

In the car I also enjoyed an Almond Butter Ball that was leftover from our travels this past weekend for a wedding, it's great finding a treat like this in the car =)  I bought these at the HFS in Ohio around the corner form the wedding, they are SO yummy!  I love the textures and the almondy flavor.

Photobucket

Photobucket

the inside shot ;)

Photobucket

At WF I also picked up Purely Delicious a raw food mag, yea =)  I'm still reading it, but an except from the Jason Mraz article that I really enjoyed:
'I'm always trying to promote personal canteens.  If it's important for us to carry our freaking cell phones everywhere we go, so, too, can we carry a water bottle.'  Jason Mraz in Summer 2010 Purely Delicious

Photobucket

Hope you all have a groovy morning, I'm off to yoga =D  xoxo

*my pics are getting cut off on the right, I will check into that after yoga...

4 comments:

  1. Happy yoga-ing!
    (Chloe and John have the neoprene this year...we love them:)
    I want an Almond Butter Ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I love those almond butter balls! My hubby gets them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you're sharing...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I need to go and get some more "grass" (wow, that's changed since college)! Have a great weekend!

    Oh, and I have that same neti pot!

    ReplyDelete