search Domestic Dharma

Thursday, August 12, 2010

raw vegan cheesecake 1.0

This week I attempted my first raw vegan cheesecake.  I used the Strawberry Cheesecake recipe from Sweet Gratitude and it is sooooooooooooooo delicious.  Anybody who has had a raw cheesecake knows how devine they are! =)  I will quote Vegan Cookbook Critic here:  "the most effective vegan outreach tool ever invented. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't swoon at the first bite of a raw vegan cheesecake".  Check out her post with some glorious looking desserts! 

Here's a photo montage of my cheesecake ;)

soaking cashews

Photobucket

The almond date crust

Photobucket

Photobucket

filling ingredients (this alone would be enough of a reason to buy a Vita-mix!)

Photobucket

you know it's summer when your coconut oil looks like this...

Photobucket

lecithin was the only ingredient I had to specially buy.  I did make sure it's from non-GMO soybeans, when I bought this I was unaware of the sunflower lecithin...next time.

Photobucket

Photobucket

the Vita-mix can work some magic!

Photobucket

poured into my springform pan.  I bought this pan from a Pampered Chef party especially for making these cheesecakes.  Are you seeing how much I love them??? ;)  My love affair started when we lived in Nevada and our local Wild Oats sold Earth Cafe cheesecakes by the slice (they're like $6 or $7 I can't remember) and it was love at first bite.  I would totally ration them and have just a couple bites a day, what will power man.  Now I can have a whole slice at a time =D  yea!  We desperately tried to justify the shipping to order whole cakes here, but it just didn't make sense since they have to ship frozen/cooled. 

Photobucket

yea, it worked!  (this one was not difficult to make at all, it was just exciting)

Photobucket

Next time I think I'll cut it when it's a little more frozen, this got a wee bit mushy, but still held together fine. 

Photobucket

pretty

Photobucket

I picked up an extra set of these at Costco for storing slices in the freezer.  They're all now packed away frozen, well except for the two slices thawing on the counter for our nighttime treat ;) 

Photobucket

Something else I've been goo goo over lately too is this Go Raw granola.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have a little bit with some almond milk and it is crazy good.  I'm still researching our dehydrator purchase...can't wait to start making more raw goodies in our our home!  I know that this fall and winter crackers and breads are going to be perfect, oh and granola too! 

I'm off to enjoy that slice and to try and finish Eat, Pray, Love tonight! 

Another great thought from Lululemon's Manifesto:

•Drink FRESH water and as much water as you can. Water flushes unwanted toxins from your body and keeps your brain sharp

5 comments:

  1. Yum!!!! I love a good slice of something from Sweet Gratitude.

    And I love that Chocolate Granola too. One of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I want that cookbook! :)

    Have fun at Eat Pray Love, I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am Andrea K's sister. She has been telling me a lot about your blog and sharing many of the wonderful things you do, so I had to become a "follower." I have 3 young children and I am always looking for healthier options for the entire family. How fun that the first post I see is for CHEESECAKE! YUM! Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say Hi. Thanks and I look forward to reading more!
    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those slices at Wild Oats. It was pricey so we would buy two slices and split it amongst four of us. The first time we all just dug in and it was like war trying to get that last bite :) I will try the recipe... it looked easy enough to do, eh?

    ReplyDelete