search Domestic Dharma

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A2 farmer's market + Pilar's with Mom

Mom and I hit up the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market last week for the first time together this year.  I couldn't resist and picked up a few veggie starts from Frog Holler!  My red pepper seeds have yet to sprout (they were involved in a little mishap between Maggie and an outside animal...) so I choose some Italian red sweet peppers called Super Shepard and a few different varieties of heirloom tomatoes, an orange Valencia, Moskvich, and some Red Zebras. 

Photobucket

I also bought this super cool salad dressing vessel.  This is definitely a pretty and functional way to mix up our 'stirred together dressings'.  I love it. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

The artist is Denise of Blue Heron Pottery.

Photobucket

We also then found our way to Pilar's storefront (with the help of Mom's super fancy phone) for lunch.

Photobucket

Mom enjoying lunch =)

Photobucket

We shared the vegan tamale meal with horchata.

Photobucket

I brought some goodies home for dinner too.  This is the vegan spinach and kalamata tamale, so good!  Sylvia sources many of her ingredients from local organic farmers, the spinach in this tamale is from Tantre Farm, which is another of our favorite local farms.

Photobucket

I've been on a kefir kick here and a great use for it is to make shakes, this was fresh pineapple, banana, one date (the last one...), original So Delicious coconut kefir, vanilla powder, and Naturally Nutty almond butter.  Way better than a dairy milk shake if you ask me! 

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had company for dinner last week and I made the Carrot Bisque from Vegan with a Vengeance and a salad based on the Apple Walnut Poppyseed one from The Raw Food Revolution Diet

Photobucket

Photobucket

along with some Motown Multigrain bread from Avalon bakery in Detroit.  The depot town bakery's oven is being rebuilt right now and in the meantime the co-op is stocking Avalon's bread.  We dipped it in our soup and gave it two thumbs up! 

Photobucket

look at all the seeds =)

Photobucket

I think we've been eating all of Kroger's stock of organic strawberries ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket

and the usual green fare:

Photobucket

lots of massaged kale

Photobucket

Photobucket

I've gotten a little behind on blogging, we've been away from home or outside so much that it's been hard to sit at the computer ;)  I did get caught up on Grey's Anatomy yesterday though and it was so intense!  I'm glad no one had spoiled it for me before I saw it. 
We're having the most gorgeous weather here!  Tyrah's crazy hair season can begin because we also took the top off the Jeep this weekend, haha, it gets nuts! 
Does everyone have their gardens all in?  What a great growing week it's going to be.

4 comments:

  1. That tamale sounds great! What better company to share with then your mom! :)

    Looove the kale salad (duh!). And I've been craving strawberries like crazy! Bought some organic ones yesterday and ate the whole container in an hour! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That vegan tamale plate looks incredible! And what a great idea for a shake! I love So Delicious coconut milk kefir, and I can't wait to try it! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pottery.

    yummy looking eats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the salad dressing mixer. I usually get lazy to bring out the blender to make salad dressing so just end up with the boring (although good) lemon, oil, salt and pepper dressing often.

    ReplyDelete