search Domestic Dharma

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

beets and their green hairdos

I've added beet greens to my greens that I like list now.  We love to eat spiralized raw beets here on salads and wraps, red being the favorite they are so flavorful and juicy.  We were recently talking to a couple of bartenders and they both loved beets and ate them raw too.  I loved her comment that they taste so much like dirt and she loves that, what I think she meant is that they're earthy ;)  I usually buy them in the bulk bin without the greens, this time I wanted to try the greens too so I got the whole plant root and leaves.  The greens were super dirty so they got to soak it off in a bowl for a bit while I spiralized the beet.  I have read that the greens have more nutrition that the actual beet.

beet greens

Photobucket

our spiralizer is the Spiralo by Lurch, we ordered it from Discount Juicers.  I love it, it stores up small and works great on radishes, zucchini, carrots, beets, sweets, etc.  We bought it to make zucchini noodles, but probably use it for beets the most.  It's the one Andrea Primm uses and that's how we found it, thanks Andrea!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Three beets spiraled into all these

Photobucket

here's a better photo of the spiralizer from this summer with a glorious red beet

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm wanting to make raw beet raviolis next, they look so pretty and I do love ravioli =)

the beet greens went into my morning green smoothie here with an apple (cored), a mandarin, banana, and dates

Photobucket

green goodness

Photobucket

some green went on my lunch, which looks to have a green and yellow theme

Photobucket

I've been snacking on my 2nd favorite apples (Pinova/Pinata I think they're the same)  that are in again at WFs, I don't think that you need to ask what is first, Michigan Honeycrisps from Almar Orchards, hands down.  Anyway with the apple I've made a tasty dip of peanut butter, coconut butter, and chocolate chips, I think that this is for the little kid in me, haha!

Photobucket

this is the coconut butter we eat from Artisana

Photobucket

I also put the butter in smoothies when I'm feeling like I could use some coconut fats.  This was unsweetened almond milk, banana, pomegranate arils, dates, and the coconut butter is down in the front corner, see it?  yummy.

Photobucket

Another order came in to the co-op with our Kirk's castile soap.

Photobucket

This is part of what I'm loving about getting all organized, we place a bulk order for what we use over and over and it's in the closet without having to pick up all the little things that we use every month or whatever. Grocery shopping trips are getting faster and cleaner. 
I'm off, a paint brush is calling my name in the garage, I can hear it.
Have a super sunshiny day loves =)

2 comments:

  1. tyrah you're a posting machine!
    the smoothie looks to die for.
    and all your handmade items in the last post are simply beautiful! I had no idea what you were up to or that you had an etsy shop...wow! amazing!

    that veggie dip..very similar to my nooch coating for kale chips and that stuff rocks, omg you know what i mean, you could just eat it by the spoonful..as a dip, coating, etc..yummy work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that spiral slicer. Time to upgrade mine!

    ReplyDelete