search Domestic Dharma

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

big fat sand =)

My favorite sandwich lately here has been generous amounts of homemade hummus (Creamy Hummus from Vive le Vegan!), cucumber, avocado, spinach, and Dijon.  So good, filling, and quick to prepare, after you've made the hummus.  This week was the first time I used dried beans to make hummus (so much cheaper, no cans, etc.  We have been using Eden beans for years (no BPA in the can lining), but this is better financially and it's fun.  It does however take a bit of planning ahead of time, I ended up having to wake up in the night to put the cooled beans in the fridge ;)  they had just gotten done cooking at bedtime.  I used the instructions from an Eden foods catalog:  rinse beans 3 times with cold water, soak beans covered in cold water by 3-4 inches (the beans will get bigger) for 7-8 hours, drain and cover again with cold water by 4 inches or so in a pan, add a piece of kombu, bring to boil and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours until beans are tender (you may need to add more water), ours were perfect at an hour and a half, remove kombu, and let cool and refrigerate. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks to Angela at Oh She Glows I made one of our new favorite dinners.  Check out this recipe for butternut squash mac n cheeze!  I have it bookmarked on the computer and have made it a few times since, so good!  When I found the recipe I had some leftover cooked (cubed on the stove in water) kabocha squash from the night before and used that.  I've also used pumpkin, but the kabocha was my fav.  I stirred in some frozen peas at the end of course ;)

stirring the squash into the cheeze sauce

Photobucket

delectable dinner =)

Photobucket

Lots of protein smoothies here lately too:

water/unsweetened almond milk
2 bananas
fruit (berries, oranges, or mango, etc.)
greens
spirulina
avocado (want a creamy shake?  put in an avocado, mmm!)
dates

Photobucket

And some food photos from the summer...

fresh organic asparagus!  some raw in salads, some steamed for dinner

Photobucket

with nut butter carrot and parsnip fries 

Photobucket

collards and rice seasoned with these two.

Photobucket

I love trying new hummus recipes...what is your favorite recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment